Wednesday, February 27, 2013

He's Here!

Henry Jude Hinson was born on February 26, 2013 at 3:37pm. He weighs 9lbs 1oz and is 18.25 inches long. He is absolutely perfect!

God has a sense of humor and I sometimes feel as though he challenges me at every corner with said sense of humor. As many of you know my biggest weakness (I guess one of, as there are many...) is my desire to have total control of my environment. Anything monumentous that has happened in my life has not been without it's plan except for the births of my two children.

Henry's plan was that he would be delivered by c-section on Monday, March 4 at exactly 39 weeks. In my mind this was a great plan. I knew when it was coming and knew how much time I had to get ready only all that went by the wayside on Monday night. Monday night was a rough one. I "woke up" (I use quotations because I actually didn't sleep much at all Monday night) knowing that something wasn't right. I didn't feel good. I didn't feel like I should feel. But thankfully I had a neonatal stress test at 10:00 Tuesday morning so I knew that if something was wrong they would know and we would go from there. When I finally got hooked up to the NST monitors I was having contractions about 7-8 minutes a part. I drove myself to the hospital and was in labor and didn't even know it. I mean how dense does one person need to be? No wonder I didn't "feel well" I was having a baby! Keep in mind Nathan was in Louisville still because February 26 at 3:30pm was not in the plan.

Let me tell you contractions are for the BIRDS! I had never experienced any part of laboring before, and woman who do that all natural all the way, woo my hat is off to you! Around 1:00pm the maternal doctor came in and said "today was the day" and we were going to head into the OR around 2:30 so I needed to call my family and tell them to hit the road. I can't imagine what it was like for Nathan to get that call and to hurry around and drive an hour and half to get to me by 2:30. I will tell you he didn't make it at 2:30 but thankfully we weren't in an emergency situation so they waited for Nathan and just about 15 minutes later we heard Henry Jude for the first time. Much like hearing Oliver cry for the first time it was an amazing moment to think "we did it" holy cow we brought a human into this world. I remember them bringing him over to me and seeing his chubby cheeks but not much after that. I know at some point Henry and Nathan left for the NICU at Good Sam to get Henry ready for transport to Children's Hospital.

About 2 hours after Henry was born we said our goodbyes as he was taken to Children's Hospital and set up residence in their NICU.  Like no other time in my life i was so thankful for medication that day. It made that goodbye much much easier.

Henry continues to do really well in his recovery. Doctors are watching the size of his ventricles closely as it is a good possibility that Henry is going to require a second surgery to place a shunt to help his body process the excess spinal fluid. He had another ultrasound of his head today and we are waiting to get those results. Again it's very likely Henry is going to need a shunt it's just a matter of when they insert it but it will probably be towards the end of next week.

We know that in all things God is in control and have been so encouraged by Henry's first few days here on this earth!

More now than ever before does Psalm 139 bring me great comfort... I know that as much as I already love this chunky monkey, the Father above loves him even more! God says so in His word: "For you created [Henry] in my inmost being: you knit [Henry] together in my womb. I praise you because [Henry] is fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. [Henry's] frame was not hidden from You when he was made in the secret place. When [Henry] was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw his unformed body. All the days ordained for him were written in your book before even one of them came to be."

All that to say that Henry is perfect in every way imaginable!

1 comment:

  1. I could hardly be prouder to be li'l Henry's grampa, even from 1100+ miles away. 'Scuse me, must be something in my eyes - they're getting wet. Later.

    ReplyDelete