Monday, November 26, 2012

Catching up...

The dust has now settled from our initial trip to Cincinnati and we have gone back to living a semi-normal life. Nathan and I have been reading all the materials we received while in Cincinnati and gleaning new information daily, but I know I have emotionally reached a place of great peace. Even though I read a little more every day about the clinical aspect of Spina Bifida my soul is calm. I know it’s only because the Lord has provided it. "The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace." Psalm 29:11 Most days we’re so busy with all that life presents us, I forget all about Spina Bifida. I don't even think about it much anymore when Henry moves, which is a great blessing as that was something I really struggled with after receiving the news. My heart would ache for him and for me but now he moves and I am only reminded of the child that God has given us to love. This is a reminder I receive often because he is constantly moving, but more on that in a minute.
   
As I said emotionally I am feeling pretty great but physically I am exhausted. It's funny when I was pregnant with Oliver my second trimester was fantastic, with Henry I get up, take a shower and then feel like I should lay back down for a nap. When I was pregnant with O, I remember he was a calm baby, even after he was born he was very easy going. I can remember I used to pray many times throughout the day that he would just move so I knew he was ok. More times than not Oliver's movement was in the form of hiccups. The poor boy would get them and they would stay for hours. With Henry I find myself asking the Lord for a break. The boy is moving all the time!!! There are moments when I am in serious need of a dramamine because I feel as though I am rolling on the high seas. So it makes me wonder what this means for Henry's personality and what he will be like when he gets here? Oliver to this day is still an easy going child, and for the most part, a calm child. I mean as calm as it gets being an almost 2-year-old, which I guess isn’t very calm at all. (ha ha ha) I know that the day Henry is born this  journey is really just beginning for us, but I find that as I am waiting for all of this to really begin, I stand with great strength and with much more anticipation of who Henry will be, rather than waiting in worry about who he may not be because of his diagnosis.

Good News

Last Wednesday we had an ultrasound to check up on Mr. Henry and his fetal movement was off the charts. His legs and arms were moving with great ease and with even greater frequency! The ultrasound tech just kept laughing at him. He would flip and flop and roll and kick and I assured her this was my every day with little Henry. Best news from the ultrasound is that Henry’s head is growing!!!!! He is now only measuring about a week behind in gestational age for his head size, so it’s still small but hey it’s growing! This is a huge answer to prayer, but something that still needs to be prayed over! I know without a doubt that the Lord hears the prayers of the masses that have been going out for Henry and our family and He is answering them as He sees fit. With each new answer God reveals Himself to me in a way I didn’t think possible.  More good news: the ventricles in Henry’s brain also went down by 3 millimeters. At the beginning of the month they  measured 11 millimeters and they now measure at 8 millimeters which  is well within normal fetal range. The size of the ventricles may fluctuate but this was a very good sign on Wednesday. 

I have my first doctor’s appointment in Cincinnati on December 18 and they will increase in frequency as Henry (and I) grows in size. For now our pregnancy experience with Henry is like any other baby with a few more doctors’ visits, but as we near that 30 week mark I will begin going to the doctor twice a week for testing and monitoring. Thankfully we have found a way that my doctors here can co-manage the case with doctors in Cincinnati so that I am not driving up and down I-71 twice a week until it is absolutely necessary!

I will leave you with this thought for the day...It’s hard to believe that we only have about 14 weeks left before baby Henry arrives, now if only we could get Big Brother to know what this means... Nathan and I have been trying to explain to Oliver for months who Henry is- but he is 23 months old – how much is he really going to understand? We have found some fantastic books like this one, this one and this one, however our sweet sweet almost 2-year-old now believes that there is something called a “Henry” growing in, on, or near his belly and he thinks that whatever is happening to mommy’s belly has something to do with a bulldozer. Let’s all hope baby Henry looks nothing or weighs nothing like a bulldozer! :)

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Psalms 127:3

Here are a few pictures from our Thanksgiving, hope you all had a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment